Photo by TasteofHome.com
Nutritionist Natalie* recommends this delicious recipe for curried pumpkin soup.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- Dash of pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream or evaporated milk
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in oil until tender.
- Add the broth, pumpkin, lemon juice, curry powder, sugar, salt if desired, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cream; heat through.
- Serve and garnish with parsley, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings (1 serving = 1 cup)
Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium broth and evaporated skim milk and without salt) equals 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat; also, 67 calories, 60 mg sodium, 3 mg cholesterol, 11 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 2 gm fat.
(Recipe from TasteofHome.com.)
*Reminder: You can ask Nutritionist Natalie all of your diet, nutrition, and weight loss questions online tonight from 8:30pm-9:30pm in our Women’s Weight Loss chat room.