1. Prepare healthy snacks every night for the following day. Make sure these snacks include protein, which will help keep you satisfied throughout the day.
- Celery sticks with a Laughing Cow light cheese wedge
- Plain yogurt with1 Tbsp. of chopped walnuts
- 1 Tbsp. of peanut butter on a few whole grain crackers
2. If you go out to lunch, eat smaller portions. Decide in advance to eat only half of what you are served. Choose lean protein like grilled chicken, turkey breast, or plain tuna without the mayo. If you order a salad, eat half, and always order your dressing (low-fat!) on the side. Use only half of the dressing. You’ll cut out calories and fat this way!
3. Keep a food journal. Keeping a food journal, in which you write down everything you put in your mouth, helps you recognize your eating patterns and will enable you to modify them more easily. There are also phone apps that can help with this. Check out Livestrong, Fat Secret, and My Fitness Pal apps.