It’s feeling like summer, and you may be feeling like splurging on ice cream. Before you flag down the local ice cream truck, give this recipe a try. It will save you a lot of calories and fat–and it tastes great!
Skinny Summer Ice Cream
- 1 cup chocolate or vanilla Live Rite protein powder
- 1 small banana
- 3 cups almond milk (This works better dairy milk for helping the ice cream to thicken.)
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until consistent. Mixture should be thick and creamy, not lumpy.
2. Pour the mixture into a medium-sized metal bowl, cover with aluminium foil, and place in the refridgerator to chill for 1 hour. (Chilling the mixture before freezing allows it to reach freezing temperature faster once placed in the freezer, and it helps create a smoother ice cream).
3. Remove bowl from the refridgerator and place it in the freezer for 2 hours. Mix every half hour to create a “Mr. Softee”-style guilt-free ice cream in your favorite flavor!
For an extra treat, top with a healthy topping like crushed walnuts or chopped fruit.
Nutritional info: serving size = 1.5 cups; 325 calories, 2.5 g fat, and 17 g protein per serving.
Recipe by Ilise “Baker Babe” Reilly, manager of Lucille Roberts Jamaica.