Each year as my birthday rolls around, I search for an acceptably healthy birthday dessert to serve to my co-workers, friends, and family. This year, I decided to compile a guilt-free angel food cake recipe with a boost in protein. Serve at your next milestone event, or just as a light and nutritious dessert anytime!
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 2 scoops Vanilla Live Rite protein powder sifted with flour
- 12 egg whites
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a food processor (I use my Magic Bullet), blend sugar for 2 minutes. You should notice a shift in consistency.
3. Sift the flour with the Live Rite protein powder and half of the sugar you just blended.
4. Beat egg whites, water, vanilla extract, and cream of tartar together with an electric mixer until smooth.
5. Continue to beat while mixing in the rest of the sifted sugar.
6. After mixing for about 5 minutes, the batter should be stiff and frothy. Slowly pour in the dry mixture, using just enough to coat the top surface of the foamy batter.
7. Slowly stir in the flour mixture with a large spoon or spatula. Continue until the entire dry mixture has been combined with the egg white mixture.
8. Spoon the batter into an ungreased baking pan.
9. Bake for 35 minutes at 350 Fahrenheit. You will know the cake is ready when the edges are just slightly golden brown and a toothpick can be poked into the center of the cake and removed dry.
Nutritional Info: Serving size is 1 slice, 1.5″ thick. 80 calories, 0 g fat, 8 g protein.
Lucille Roberts Live Rite protein shake mixes are available at all Lucille Roberts gyms for $19.99.