When its this chilly, our bodies instinctively crave those not-so-good-for-you foods. Indulge your taste buds without feeling guilty with this tasty make-over of Bacon Wrapped Asparagus.
- 3 long (& fat) carrots- the biggest you can find
- 1-2 lbs fresh asparagus (green, white or purple is fine)
- Grade A Dark Amber Maple Syrup
- Coarse salt (If you have smoked salt it works great here)
- A wide flat peeler
- 1 box toothpicks
- Aluminium Foil
Let’s get started:
1. Wash carrots & asparagus thoroughly.
2. Peel off outer layer of carrots (the peel) and discard.
3. Peel off another few layers on the top side of the carrot; until the top is flat and wide (about and inch). Repeat for all 3 carrots. Then peel ribbons out of each.
4. Lay the carrot ribbons you have peeled out onto a foil covered baking sheet.
5. Spoon/brush each ribbon with maple syrup.
6. Bake the carrot ribbons for 5 minutes at 425.
7. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with salt. Bake for another 2 minutes.
8. Cut off bottom inch or so of each asparagus spear (the light colored tip).
9. Take an asparagus spear, and wrap a carrot ribbon around it horizontally. Secure the too & bottom with a toothpick.
10. Repeat with all asparagus spears, adding a second and third asparagus spear to each toothpick.
11.Bake for 12 minutes at 400.
12. Remove toothpicks & enjoy!