For those of you who think that chili always has to be bad for you, think again!
Break out your soup pot and get ready for some delicious and healthful Vegetarian Chili!
Prep Time :15 minutes
Cook Time : 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 med. size onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbs. dried oregano
- 1/2- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 stalks celery. Chopped
- 2 green peppers.Chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers. Chopped
- 3 cloves chopped Garlic
- 2 4 ounce cans green chili peppers, drained
- 2 12 ounce packages veggie burger crumbles ( can be purchased at Trader Joes, Whole Foods)
- 3 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans. Drained
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans. Drained
- 1 15 ounce can black beans. Drained
- 1 15 ounce can whole kernel corn
Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Stir in onions and add bay leaves, cumin, oregano and salt. Cook and stir till onions are tender then add celery, green peppers, jalapeño peppers, garlic, and green chili peppers.
When vegetables are heated through, add vegetarian burger crumbles. Reduce heat to low, cover pot and summer for 5 minutes.
Mix in tomatoes, chilli powder and pepper. Bring to boil, make sure you are cooking on low and summer for 45 minutes. Stir in corn and cook for 5 minutes.
Recipe by Jeni Pollack, District Manager of Queens and Yonkers.