It’s no secret–Zumba is the hottest trend in fitness! Fitness beginners and experts alike love Zumba because it feels more like a dance party than a workout, even though you’re burning calories the whole time. At Lucille Roberts, we love watching our gym members walk out the door smiling from ear to ear after taking a Zumba class. That makes our day!
Here are some fun facts you may not know about Zumba!
- Even though Zumba is a relatively new fitness craze, it’s actually been around since the mid-90s.
- Zumba was created by Alberto “Beto” Perez, an aerobics instructor in Cali, Colombia, when he forgot his workout music for a class. He improvised with some salsa and merengue tapes he happened to have in his backpack, and the class was an instant hit!
- Zumba came to the U.S. in 2001, when Perez brought it to Miami, FL.
- In 2005, the Zumba Academy was founded to train instructors.
- The dance steps in Zumba are inspired by a wide array of musical influences, including cumbia, salsa, merengue, mambo, flamenco, chachacha, reggaeton, soca, samba, belly dancing, bhangra, hip hop, axé music, and tango.
- The Zumba brand has released DVDs, CDs, and even a Wii game for people who want to do Zumba at home. (But nothing compares to the energy and excitement of taking a class at the gym!)
- There’s also a Zumba clothing line.
- Lucille Roberts was one of the first gyms in New York to introduce Zumba, and it’s one of our most popular classes!
Want to try a free Zumba class at Lucille Roberts? Go here.