If you haven’t heard of this latest craze, it focuses on avoiding processed and cultivated foods; in short, if it can’t be hunted or gathered it’s not paleo.
This pesto trades in the traditional olive oil for its paleo counterpart the avocado, and nixes the parmesan cheese (you won’t even miss it).
Try it out for a healthier and heartier pesto tonight.
Here’s what you’re going to need:
- 2 packed cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup Avocado puree
- 1/3 cup raw pine nuts (Macadamia nuts and walnuts can be used as a cheaper alternative)
- 3 garlic cloves
Let’s get started:
1. Start by removing the avocado from its skin, and disposing of the pit.
2. Chop basil and garlic.
3. Combine all ingredients in a food processor (I used a Magic Bullet) and pulse until smooth.
4. Serve immediately over tomatos & crustini (pictured) as a great appetizer, whole wheat pasta or use as a salad dressing.