Every once in a while, you need a little comfort food, whether it was a long week at work, or your child had a rough day at school. For many, childhood favorites help bring a sense of calm, so try these faux fast-food favorites, with a healthy home-made twist. I always start with the Veggie Fries (since they take longer) so that the meal will be ready all at once.
- 3 chicken breasts (pounded flat)
- 1 egg
Gather up the following for the marinade :
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt, pepper, garlic, dried onion flakes (about 1 Tbsp each, or to taste)
And toss together these ingredients for the Breading:
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs are both lighter and crunchier)
- Garlic, white pepper, red chili flakes, basil
Now let’s get started!
- Preheat your oven to 425° (if you didn’t make the veggie fries first). Lightly pound the chicken breasts, and cut into chicken-nugget sized shapes…yes “rectangles and squares” count!
- Grab all your marinade ingredients and toss them into a mixing bowl.
- Place your nuggets into the bowl with the marinade, toss, and refrigerate. I usually leave mine in for about 2 hours.
- In another mixing bowl, break & beat the egg.
- In a shallow plate, mix all of the breading ingredients.
- Dip each chicken nugget into the egg, then coat both sides with the panko breading.
- Place nuggets onto a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes, flipping half way through.
Calories: 200 for 6 (McDonalds is 300cals)
Fat: 3g (McDonalds is 17g fat)
Protein: 12g (McDonalds is 10g)
Baked Veggie Fries
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 small turnip
- 1 small parsnip
- 2 large carrots
- olive oil
- salt, pepper, paprika, garlic
*Preheat oven to 425°
- Thoroughly wash and peel all veggies.
- Cut the veggies into “fries” in the shape of your choice (but 1/3′ inch thick).
- Toss in a mixing bowl with olive oil (just enough to coat the veggies) and spices.
- Bake for 60 minutes on a lightly greased baking sheet. Flip every 20 minutes. Fries should be crispy and golden brown when done.
- Serve the nuggets and the fries together for a great faux fast-food meal!
Calories for veggie fries: 100 for 1 cup (McDonalds is 230cals)
Fat: 6g all from the olive oil (McDonalds is 11g fat)
Protein: 2g (McDonalds is 3g)
And don’t forget to wash it all down with a banana split protein shake!