According to the American Heart Association, February is Women’s Heart Disease Awareness Month. Also, according to the American Heart Association’s August 17, 2010, scientific journal, occasionally eating dark chocolate in moderation lowers our risk of heart failure. In honor of Valentine’s Day coming up, here is a low-calorie, fun dessert idea to make your heart and stomach happy!
- 1 ½ Cups dark chocolate candy melts (approximately 90-100 pieces)
- 2 Cups water (1 Hot/1 Cold)
- 1 Box sugar-free, 10-calorie Jell-O (For this example I used Strawberry flavor.)
What You Will Need:
- 16 3-oz. Paper cups
- 1 Microwaveable plate
- 1 Small saucepan
- 1 Plastic sandwich bag
Preparation Time: 5-10 Minutes
“Cook” Time: 2 Hours
Decorating Time: 5-10 Minutes
Yields: 16 Jel-Loves
1. Put four dark chocolate candy melt pieces in each paper cup. Place cups on microwaveable plate. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir chocolate in cups to evenly distribute the heat. Microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Stir chocolate again. If chocolate is melted, remove from microwave. If chocolate still has not melted, microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Place plate with paper cups in fridge to cool chocolate slightly.
2. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in small saucepan. Add Jell-O mix. Stir until mix has dissolved. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 cup of cold water.
3. Remove paper cup plate from refrigerator. Pour 3 tablespoons of Jell-O mixture into each paper cup. Place paper cup plate back in refrigerator and let cool for 2 hours.
4. Remove paper cup plate from refrigerator. Gently tear the top of the paper cup and peel apart. Carefully remove the Jel-Love from the remainder of the paper cup and place it back on the plate.
5. Once all of the Jel-Loves have been carefully peeled from the paper cups, put the remaining dark chocolate candy melt pieces in the plastic sandwich bag. Microwave this bag for 30 seconds. Knead the chocolate in the bag and put back in the microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Knead the chocolate into one corner of the bag. Twist the top of the bag to remove any excess air. Cut off the corner of the bag and drizzle the melted chocolate over each Jel-Love any way that you would like. (I made hearts and hearts with an arrow for this recipe.) Let chocolate harden and ENJOY!!!
If you enjoyed the Jel-Loves for Valentine’s Day, change it up for other holidays throughout the year! Use green Jell-O and draw chocolate shamrocks for St. Patrick’s Day; use blue Jell-O and draw chocolate stars for the 4th of July; use orange Jell-O and draw chocolate pumpkins for Halloween, etc.
Leave a comment below to let me know what you think!