Now that school is back in session, 3pm has become synonymous with hungry children. Whip up one of these as an after school snack with a protein boost to tide them over until dinner.
Here’s what you’re going to need:
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- Natural, No Salt Added Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
- No Sugar Added Jam/Jelly in your favorite flavor (I like grape)
Let’s make some sushi!
1. Start by removing the crusts from each slice of bread.
2. To create more surface area, flatten the slices of bread with a rolling pin, or by pressing evenly with your hands.
3. Layer on 1 tablespoon of your PB or AB (Peanut Butter or Almond Butter) followed by 1 tablespoon of jelly on each slice.
4. Roll up each slice into a tight spiral like swirl.
5. Cut each rolled up slice into 4 “sushi” pieces.
Serve with chopsticks for a fun and worldly treat.
Ants on A Log
This classic treat from my own childhood, is a healthy snack with unlimited ways to customize it to your liking.
Here’s what you are going to need:
- 4 celery stalks (washed and cut into 3 inch slices)
- 1 filling (peanut butter, cream cheese, hummus)
- 1 topping (raisins, olive slices)
Let’s get started:
1. Fill each celery slice with 1 teaspoon of your chosen filling.
2. Top with your chosen topping(s) and serve!